Okaihau to Horeke
Distance: 28 km
Grade: 2-3 (Easier to cycle from Okaihau to Horeke as its descending down into the valley)
- Storyboards referring to settlers and the Horeke story
- Panoramic views looking out toward Puketi Forest
- Utakura Valley with its river, native bush and natural picnic areas
- Lily Pond adjacent to the trail
- Snows Farmstop – homemade goodies!
- 2km boardwalk through the Mangrove wetland
- Mangungu Mission House, rich in history with spectacular views of the Hokianga Harbour
- Wairere Boulders, spectacular natural rock formation (4Km ride from Mangungu Mission House)
Toilets at both Okaihau, Snows Farm and Māngungu Mission. Snows Farm toilet is 12 Km from ~Okaihau or 16 kms from Horeke.
Food at Okaihau and Snows Farm. small shop in Horeke – maybe open on the day you ride.
Do you want to ride further or stay longer in the Hokianga, check out Wairere Boulders, the Ranui ferry and the small townships of Kohukohu, Opononi and Omapere and Tane Mahuta?
Our sister company Northland Experiences – fully supported tours can organise a bespoke tour including these areas or join one of our Cook to Kupe Tours that covers the entire trail and more – out west and east!