Kaikohe to Okaihau
Distance: 14 km
Grade: 1 (easy)
- The Pioneer Village in Kaikohe, shops, café
- Ngawha Springs: hot springs with reputedly therapeutic waters (6km east of Kaikohe)
- 80 metre long historic rail tunnel.
- Summit of Kaikohe - views of the sand dunes in Hokianga Harbour to the West and Mt Hikurangi to the South
- Lake Omapere - Northland's longest lake and also significant in Maori mythology
- The water ford close to Okaihau - cycling through it or take the bridge beside it
- Changing views - native bush, farms and the lake
- Café and dairy in Okaihau
Toilets and food at both Kaikohe and Okaihau.
Kaikohe to Okaihau Easy peasy.
We provide shuttle transport over this section of trail..
A great short ride if you have limited time before rushing off to your next Bay of Islands adventure or are arriving late in the day.
This section features an 80 metre long curved tunnel and acheives to highest point on the trail at about 280m.
It is a gentle undulating ride along the path of the once famous Okaihau Express.
You ride past Lake Omapere and wide vistas of farmland and bush.