Okaihau to Horeke
Distance: 28 km
Grade: 2-3 (Easier to cycle from Okaihau to Horeke as its descending down into the valley)
- Storyboards on the Settlers Way / Horeke Road
- Panoramic views looking out toward Puketi Forest
- Utakura Valley with its river, native forest and natural picnic areas
- Lilly Pond adjacent to the trail
- 1.2km boardwalk through the Mangrove wetland
- Horeke Tavern - situated on the edge of the Hokianga Harbour- this was the first tavern in NZ
- Mangungu Mission House, rich in history with spectacular views of the Harbour
- Wairere Boulders, spectacular natural rock formation
Toilets and food at both Okaihau and Horeke. Toilet 12 Km from Okaihau or 16 kms from Horeke at the river picnic spot.
Self guided Okaihau to Horeke.
This is a great ride to either start or finish the trail. Maybe you want to discover the Hokianga and the history of Horeke for a day or two and would like to sample what the Twin Coast Trail has to offer.
Ride alongside the river down the Utakura Valley and along the boardwalk on the edge of the Harbour.